Princelet [formerly Princes] Street Synagogue, Spitalfields, Marriage Register 1897 - 1907
Princelet (formerly Princes) Street Synagogue, Spitalfields, Marriage Register, 1897-1907 Number 1
The origins of the Princelet Street Synagogue lie in the foundation, in 1862, of the 'Loyal United Friends Friendly Society' (Chevras Nidvath Chen in Hebrew), by a group of Polish immigrants living in Spitalfields. One of the aims of the Society was to provide a place of worship for its members, and between 1862 and 1870 premises were rented for this purpose in Fashion Street, Leadenhall Street and Mansell Street in turn.
Early in 1870 number 18 Princes Street (off Brick Lane) was leased and converted into a Synagogue, being consecrated on 4th September 1870. By the early 1890s the building required considerable repairs, which were carried out following a public appeal. The newly repaired building, with an altered façade, was opened on 26th March 1893. In June 1893 the name of the street was changed from Princes Street to Princelet Street; the synagogue was then known as the 'Princes (now Princelet) Street Synagogue', until 1916 when the name changed to the 'Princelet Street Synagogue'. In 1921 the houses in the street were re-numbered, number 18 becoming number 19.
In 1970 the synagogue amalgamated with the Bethnal Green Synagogue and in 1980 the freehold of the building was bought by the Federation of Synagogues, who subsequently sold it to the Spitalfields Historic Buildings Trust.
The marriage register is part of a substantial archive of the synagogue held at Tower Hamlets Local Studies Library and Archives, search the online catalogue to view the archive. It gives details of 100 marriages solemnized at the synagogue during the ten-year period. The index was compiled by Jerome Farrell.
The Princelet Street Marriage Register is in a PDF format.
View the Princelet Street Synagogue Marriage Register Surname Index [95.9 KB] [5 pages]
View the Princelet Street Synagogue Marriage Register Front Cover [982 KB] [1 page]