Bromley St Leonard Poor Rate Book 1821
Bromley-by-Bow Poor Rate Book, March 1821 (ref L/BSL/B/2/19 [BRO/87])
This volume is part of a series of poor rate books, 1783 - 1836. These volumes are part of the archives of the civil parish of Bromley Saint Leonard (otherwise Bromley-by-Bow). Explore catalogue descriptions to the archives (ref L/BSL).
The poor rate was a local tax, based on property, levied for the maintenance of the poor of the parish. The assessment is arranged in a geographical format. It begins at Bromley High Street and ends at Bromley New Town. The information is in four columns.
• First column (left-hand page): name of the owner
• Second column: brief description of the property
• Third column: the rateable value of the property
• Fourth column: amount to be paid.
• Locations are in red ink across both pages.
The index is by Jozef van der Voort. An * indicates an abbreviated first name in the original document.
The Bromley St. Leonard Poor Rate Book, 1821 is in a PDF format.
View Bromley St. Leonard poor rate 1821 Alphabetical Index [94.8 KB] [6 pages]