Outreach and Education
At Tower Hamlets Local History Library & Archives, we pride ourselves on a vibrant and ever-changing programme of events, exhibitions and project-based activities that has something for everyone.
What Can We Offer You?
- Flexible access to unique collections dating back to 1384.
- Local history expertise and project advice.
- Onsite and offsite group visits.
- Touring exhibitions available FREE to borrow.
- Support for your funding bid.
- An accessible Heritage site of local historical significance.
- Use of our fully-equipped Education Room.
- Digital and paper copies of historical materials.
- A permanent place of deposit for project outcomes.
- Opportunities to view our collections online.
- A growing collection of learning resources.
- Useful links to local history resources.
We want to ensure that history is really at your fingertips, by making our collections as accessible as possible. Our team of expert staff, including a dedicated Heritage Officer (Learning & Participation), offer specially tailored group visits, talks, walks, workshops, stalls, reminiscence sessions and much more! We welcome radical new ideas for engaging with and interpreting our collections and are working to strengthen our ability to meet any access requirements you may have. To find out more or arrange a group visit, contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0207 364 1290.
Are you a teacher looking for new ways to connect with the UK History curriculum? Or a lecturer looking to refresh your students’ research skills? Do you know an ESOL group that would benefit from literacy-based activities with a local focus? The local history and archive collections at Tower Hamlets Local History Library & Archives contain a wealth of potential for engaging and inspiring learners of all ages and backgrounds. To find out more or arrange a group visit, contact us via email@example.com or call us on 0207 364 1290.
Tower Hamlets Local History Library & Archives facilitates both onsite and offsite visits for the following diverse range of groups.
- Primary and Secondary school children.
- University students.
- ESOL learners.
- Idea Store Learning courses.
- Community groups.
- Idea Store Prime Time and Creative Writing groups.
- Local History organisations.
- Disability support groups
Not on the list? We’d love to hear from you!
We require three months’ notice to deliver a session.
If you would like to find out more about bringing a group to visit us, or to see if we can come and visit you, contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0207 364 1290.
We have a growing collection of touring exhibitions in various formats including panels, pop-up banner stands and framed images. Subjects include the Bengali East End, Somali East End and World War One in Tower Hamlets. If you are interested in hosting one of our exhibitions, contact us via email@example.com or call us on 0207 364 1290.
KS2 Learning resources
We have developed the following FREE downloadable and web-based selection of learning resources for Key Stage Two school children. We are keen to build on our experience developing both online and paper resource packs. If you have experience with the UK school curriculum and are interested in co-developing a pack with us, contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0207 364 1290.
For websites with useful information, visit our general 'Useful Websites' page or any of the following education specific sites: