You are welcome to drop in during our opening times. We look forward to seeing you.
Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives
277 Bancroft Road, London E1 4DQ
Phone: 020 7364 1290 - answered during our Reading Room opening times.
Reading Room opening times:
Tuesday and Wednesday 10.30am – 4.00pm
Thursday 10.30am – 7.00pm
1st and 3rd Saturday of the month, 10.00am – 5.00pm
Saturday opening dates from July - December 2022:
Explore what's on for details on exhibitions and events.
Onsite exhibition opening times:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 10.00am – 5.00pm
Thursday 10.00am – 7.00pm
1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month, 10.00am – 5.00pm
Keep updated on changes to our services, subscribe to our newsletter.
How can I reach Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives?
Local underground and National Rail stations (external link) are open and bus services are running.
Nearest tubes: Stepney Green (5 minute walk). Mile End (10 minute walk)
Bus Routes: 25 and 205 along Mile End Road
There are limited pay and display parking spaces in surrounding roads as well as parking spaces for Tower Hamlets resident's permit holders.
Our building has a ramp and lift and is accessible to wheelchair users.
Our grade-listed 19th century stone frontage is being repaired. Scaffolding is on our building until March 2022. We will remain open during this time.
Accessing collections in our Reading Room
You are welcome to drop-in without an appointment.
If you are travelling to us as a larger group contact us in advance. Staff will be happy to discuss your visit and reserve table space.
What we need from you
You will not need to order documents in advance, however we encourage you to plan your research visit.
- Explore our research guides and collections catalogue to get a head start. These will help you identify items that you want to look at. If you’re not sure what to choose, email us the details of your query. We will help you identify which material will be most useful. Provide reference numbers for the items you would like to see when you get here.
- Email us your query firstname.lastname@example.org. Our inbox is monitored Monday-Friday.
- Phone 020 7364 1290 - answered during our Reading Room opening times.
- New user? We will ask you to complete our registration form. Bring your form with your photograph ID and proof of permanent address.
- Do not visit us if you have COVID-19 symptoms. Follow Government guidance.
How we are keeping you safe during the pandemic
For the safety of our visitors and staff we are observing government guidelines.
- We recommend wearing a face covering when you are in proximity to others.
- Signage will guide you through the building.
- The helpdesk is fitted with a Perspex screen.
- Hand sanitiser will be available.
- Toilet facilities are on ground floor.
Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives was awarded Accreditation in March 2018. Accreditation is the UK standard for archive services.